Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Sausagefest (That Guys Actually Want)


     
The Chew The View





The Sausagefest Beer Models

You've caught me at a great time -- in the midst of graduation festivities comes food. And lots of it. Beer too.

The reason that I was privvy to even starting an international food blog was because of my International Exchange coordinator, Sean (O'Conn as we dub him). Somehow, after years of annoying questions about credit transfers, calls from concerned parents, and our missed deadlines and pleadings to submit paperwork, this man STILL wants to buy us a meal. 

Did I mention the beer? Wurstkuche (vurst-koo-sha, I think) is a solid sausage and beer self-service bar and restaurant in Downtown's hidden Arts District.

After bumping into a fellow Six Taste co-worker, I began with a La Chouffe Belgian Golden Ale. A light beer with a high alcohol content -- definitely my thing.






Let's not downplay the reason we came here: sausage speak. Seriously, a whole new flavor palette dedicated to the mystery meat in mystery casing. Not so mysterious at Wurstkuche:
  • Duck & Bacon with Jalapeno 
  • Rabbit, Veal and Prok
  • Alligator & Pork
  • Vegetarian Mexican Chipotle
  • Bratwurst (psh, boring)
My choice was the Vegetarian Smoked Apple Sage. Typically, the problem with fake meat is the lack of moisture -- and I'll admit Wurstkuche still grapples with that problem. But, dear god, the toppings of Sweet Peppers & Caramelized Onions could have been stuffed alone between the buns, and I would call it a savory meal. The sweet robust flavors of the toppings were accentuated by the punchy Chipotle Ketchup.

So while the (fake) meat was too dry for me, somehow the beer and toppings kept me mighty distracted.


The post-dinner wine at Bacaro LA certainly kept me hydrated. Thanks you crazy business kids

Wurstkuche
800 E. 3rd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90013

No comments:

Post a Comment