Monday, July 18, 2011

Chewse Begins

   
The Chew The View



Spicy beef and shrimp fajitas
La Taquiza near USC

I've written a business plan. I'm in the middle of sales pitches. But nothing tells an entrepreneur's story quite like a photographic account of meetings, or the personal story of the partners you meet with.
Forgive me, my friends, who I've neglected of late. I feel I owe this entry to you, so you can see that I wasn't just sleeping early when we could have gone to a concert or had a drink at Birds.

My business of last year was The Dish Dash. Many of you saw me through the ups and downs of that business, and I've come away with more knowledge than I thought a year could cram into my thick skull. Now, I'm preparing a new venture. Simply, it's called Chewse and I am bitten by the start-up phases once again.

My sleep is unsettled. I wake up exhilarated. I dream in sales.

Life for the entre is truly riveting -- no need to dapple with drugs when you've got the highs and lows of running your own operation. Thankfully, today was a day of highs (so to speak), and I can only prepare for more days like today.

I met with restaurant owner and true foodie Miguel Medina of La Taquiza, with his restaurant poised right next to the Row at USC. Thank god Yelp uncovered this hidden gem for me, with their famous mulita and authentic Mexican specialties.

Jamaica > Tamarind > Horchata

When I ask Miguel his favorite, of course they all are! The only point of asking, though, is to find that secret sauce. Remember the joy of ordering off the In N Out "Secret Menu" for the first time (that is, until you found out you and 499 of your friends knew about it)?

Miguel's Tip: Mix the Jamaica and Tamarind juices into a refreshing, lightly sweet blend. Order it enough times, and maybe he'll give it an official name. After you, of course.



Miguel, the humble owner behind the counter, is a magnanimous entrepreneur -- as evidenced by his generous heaping of specialties in the Sampler Platter. The showcased photo at right is the secret sauce behind this tacoed treasure trove.

Miguel's Tip: This specialty is a ribbed meat that comes from between the ribs, not directly off the rib. It's simply seasoned with salt, and brings out the flavor of the meat without hiding behind dressings or salsas.

You might be asking for the house favorite, and the new sheriff in town to claim that title is the korean beef taco with a sweet, spicy dressing and avocado topping.

The corn and black bean salad is perfect for the calorie counters out there. But Miguel's Favorite is the beet salad. I've finally found someone who indulges in a similar beet fantasy. Something about that unnaturally deep mauve in an unnaturally tender vegetable just sings to my soul.

The real takeaway from my meeting with Miguel was just what business means. It's always about the relationships, and you can never forget that you aren't helping your clients as much as they are helping you. They have the faith in you. They pay for your family and your fancy meals out. Thanks are always in order to them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment